Hello everybody.
Right now it is Sunday 5:25pm and I am on the bus leaving Gaspe and
going to Montreal, there we will switch bus and go to Toronto. Total of 21 hour bus ride but it is worth it
because it is first of all cheaper and most of all you get the scenic route
near the ocean right now, the bus is literally driving along the Cliffside, one
side is the mountain and the other side is the cliff going down to the
water. Craziness!
This trip is probably the best trip I have ever been on in
my life. Even though not everything
worked out as it was planned, God had better plans and helped make sure we were
safe and comfortable and happy. Let me
explain.
First of all, you know me, I am very organized and like to
plan things to the dot so we make sure we don’t get lost, stuck in the middle
of nowhere or have trouble with transportation.
I researched everything on the internet, called the hostel in advance
and asked a million questions, booked the whale watching, seal watching, etc.
However, once we got to Gaspe and got our rental car we
drove back and forth and even with the GPS we could not find the hostel. It was as if the hostel was a ghost one or
something. Later on we found it but that
was after Selena and I decided to screw it and just sleep in the car for the
two nights we would be in Gaspe. Sleep
in the car??? Yes, sleep in the car.
Where would we shower??? Well thank God we found a beach where there
were free showers and thank God those washrooms were open 24/7, clean, had good
showers and changerooms. We slept in the
car and it was actually alright.
In fact, sleeping in the car had its advantages. Not only did we save money (cuz the hostel
ended up not charging us since we didn’t go), we saved time (the hostel was
pretty far away from downtown Gaspe), and we got to see stars at night (saw
shooting stars!) and see the sunrise this morning, with the perfect sun rising
above the perfect mountains. I say
perfect because I literally felt like this was so beautiful, not a flaw in
God’s design of the wonderful nature. I
was willing to freeze my body off for this view. Yes, it was freezing cold and I didn’t bring
enough clothes to wear watching the sunrise. I saw other people wearing winter
coats and me just wearing a club top (yeah don’t judge me) with leggings, flip
flops and a cardigan. Yikes! But I am feeling fine, not sick or anything,
once again thank God.
I have to tell you, I was extremely extremely worried about
my phone battery dying and not having access to internet. This was because usually our phones were our
GPS and these roads were extremely confusing.
And my stupid phone’s GPS usually doesn’t work without internet. But lo and behold, for some reason every
single restaurant we went to for lunch or dinner had a VERY CONVENIENT electricity
plug, RIGHT BESIDE WHERE WE WERE SITTING FOR LUNCH/DINNER. I believe there are too many coincidences for
there not to be a God. Seriously. We never ran out of battery and for some
miraculous reason my GPS which usually doesn’t work without internet in
Toronto, worked in Gaspe! I could see
where we were going on my phone!
We were at first disappointed that we could not see the
whales and the seals (whales boat canceled because of too much fog and seals
kayaking canceled because of too much wind) but we are not complaining because
we still got to see so much. Since we
did not go to the whales boat we ended up hiking a trail to a beautiful
waterfall. Also, instead of the seals
watching we went to the beach, saw a lighthouse, picked up some hitchhikers who
needed a lift (wow they were walking on the highway for so long), and went
downtown for the nightclub.
Now before you say “Martine in a nightclub?” Please
understand that I don’t like clubbing in Toronto. Never been and never will. Not even in Montreal. Selena who is a frequent clubber tells me
that in big cities guys come up to you and touch you and grab you or grind
against your butt. I don’t like that.
Also the people start fights and throw up on the floor or put the broken
glass on the floor. Hate that. Seen glimpses of that in Niagara Falls and
Charlottetown, PEI which aren’t even that big of cities.
But for some reason I had a good feeling about this Gaspe
nightclub and that weekend there was the music festival downtown so everyone
pretty much went to the music festival instead of the nightclub. In small towns like Gaspe they actually have
live rock bands play music at the nightclub so it was more of a concert
performance first of all with drinks, and also since that night it was deserted,
literally not more than 15 people total at the whole nightclub, we got to meet
this really nice girl named Vicky.
Vicky had a Guns and Roses shirt and Selena really loved
that band so she just randomly told her she likes Guns and Roses too. (it is a rock band) Then we started up a
conversation and turns out Vicky is studying social work and hoping to become a
charity worker in a foreign country.
Amazing cuz she said she just signed up to sponsor a girl in Thailand
through Plan (I think it’s Because I Am A Girl organization in French) and she
wanted to correspond with her.
I told her that if she wants to become a foreign aid worker
it would be best she learn English and I offered to keep in contact with her so
that she could write me from Gaspe and she could practice her English. I also told her that I also have a sponsored
daughter and she was happy to hear that.
Honestly she is just a super nice person that I met. She didn’t even flinch when I said I wanted
to be a pastor, she said “that’s fun!” totally not a reaction I expected. Usually Quebec people are against religion
and against female pastors even if they are religious so this was new and
comforting J
Now other than going to the places I mentioned we also saw a
big crazy rock formation in the middle of the ocean called the Perce Rocher
(Perce is the city name and Rocher means rock formation). It took us forever to get there, going up and
down curvy roads along the cliff and mountain , thanks to Selena and her safe
driving skills as well as God protecting us from accidents. By the way she only has a G2, not a G. Yikes!
HAHA but the Perce Rock was really worth seeing, really beautiful, just
can’t describe it, you have to see the pictures or go there yourself.
Now on to the craziest part of my trip. This part of my trip, I was totally not
expecting it to be dangerous or life threatening but it was and I was scared ,
terrified, and literally praying for dear life.
This activity is called “canyoning” in Gaspe. Seriously the website made it look very safe
and didn’t tell me I had to jump down cliffs and slide down waterfalls, as well
as climb up sides of cliffs with slippery rocks, swim against the current all
the while holding on to my stupid glasses which would have gotten swept away by
the river if I was not careful.
Craziness.
YES I DID IT, I jumped
down a cliff into the water, I slid down 3 waterfalls, I climbed up cliffs, MAN
THOSE PEOPLE MADE IT LOOK SO EASY I was the last one to arrive at anything cuz
I was crazy scared of slipping, I mean I had their special shoes with grip but
I still slid on the mossy rocks countless times and was losing grip on the
cliff. There is NO SAFETY BELT GUYS and swimming with glasses in your hands is
not always convenient!
Selena was really brave and really good at it but me? Oh my
gosh I was relying on the tour guides to save me. One of the scary parts was diving down to the
rushing water and grabbing on to the ever-moving ladder at the side of the
cliff, all the while holding my glasses, trying to put my glasses back on while
in the water and holding the ladder, and trying to climb up. I felt like I had zero strength, maybe I need
to do more pushups and weight lifting cuz the tour guide had to boost me up and
the other tour guide pulled me up , otherwise I would have been stuck in the
ladder forever.
On the way back I once again had to slide down a bumpy
waterfall rapids thing and the hard part was I did not want my glasses to get
scratched so I only had one hand to hold on to the “floor” which was the bumpy
rocks below my butt. Since I was holding
one hand up with my glasses and the other hand on the floor, the current was so
strong that I was basically unbalanced and I tumbled down the waterfall going
round in circles and almost hitting my head twice against the Cliffside. Thank God for helmets man, we were wearing
scuba wetsuits and helmets.
But the outfit itself was hard to maneuver with because the
scuba wetsuit OMG made me feel like an astronaut, I couldn’t lift my up arms
properly and I literally felt like falling down every second. Maybe my fear also contributed to my weakness
because I never felt my knees so weak in my entire life. It was hard to stand up after swimming even
if my feet could touch the river floor.
It was easy to get carried away in the current. OMG.
You would think that jumping off a cliff into the water
would be the scariest but actually that was the easiest. The hardest was trying to grab rocks and go
up the cliff stepping on mossy rocks. I
was so amazed at how all the others did it so easily and fast, whereas my shoes
were slipping all the time and I had no strength in my arms to grab stuff.
In the middle of the canyoning trip we stopped at a
humongous waterfall and at first I thought we had to climb up the cliff and
slide down that one too but thank God that was just the scenic view and we
turned back to go back down the river WITH the current this time so that was
kind of easier. But not really.
LOL. Still was dangerous and I was
praying for dear life.
But now I can say that I did it and maybe I would do it
again after I gain more strength both emotional and physical. Don’t do it guys if you are afraid of heights
or afraid of swimming. Definitely need
to be a strong swimmer to swim against the current and keep your head up cuz
sometimes your feet don’t touch the ground… and um… WHY did they not tell me
all this when I first looked at the website and called for reservations? I
don’t know.
Don’t worry, I don’t regret it. I think sometimes you just have to conquer
your fears and trust in God and trust in yourself and most of all trust in the
strong tour guides. OMG.
Well Selena had fun (I had fun too just not as much as she
did) and Selena wants to go to Europe and try even more intense canyoning (I am
guessing you climb even more dangerous cliffs and more dangerous waterfalls)
I was so darn happy to shed off the scuba wetsuit after the
whole trip and just relax on the bus ride.
Really that was really something.
Thank God I didn’t die! I prayed
before, during, and after the canyoning trip.
Seriously.
I am sorry that I am going on and on about Canyoning but on
a scale of 1 to 100 how scary it was, I would say fear of public speaking would
be a 5 for me right now, fear of bike crashes would be a 15, fear of my friends
and family going to hell for eternity would be maybe a 20 and CANYONING WOULD
BE 100. YES, ONE HUNDRED it was scary,
terrifying, heartbeating… makes you appreciate your life afterwards because you
could have died!!!!
Oh and did I tell you I sprained my knee and pulled my leg
muscle during the canyoning before I finished the canyoning trip? At one point
I was afraid they would need to helicopter me out of there because for a while
my right leg could NOT MOVE due to the spinning down the waterfall due to lack of
balance, I had hit my leg somehow against a rock or something and it was
strained. But after resting a while I was fine again and could swim and walk no
problem. MIRACLE I TELL YOU! MIRACLE~!
OK enough about
canyoning. I think I could write a whole
sermon on it about how perspective is everything and how sometimes it takes
trials for you to see that life is precious and you don’t need to be as scared
as you are right now. But that is the
basic of the lesson I learned. So friends, don’t be afraid when trials
come. They come to test your faith and
strength and if you conquer your fears and rely on the almighty power you will
be absolutely fine and even laughing afterwards.
Thanks for reading my super long blog post, hope you enjoyed
it and think twice about canyoning haha.
But I can show you pictures of my trip if you want, just not of
canyoning due to not being able to bring a camera to the canyon (I would
definitely die if I had to hold on to a camera too, WTfudge).
Hope you will have
fun adventures in your own way .
Remember we are small and weak people but we have a big and powerful
God. Rely on Him and He will make your
paths straight (Proverbs 3:5-6)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.