Saturday, October 31, 2009

God's miracle for me this week...

Remember how I got diagnosed with bipolar disorder officially last week? And remember the quote I put up last post? Well, the most amazing thing happened. Yesterday, at counselling, I brought the library book that I found the quote in to show to my counsellor, Juan. Before I even showed her the quote, she said that she just remembered, there was a speaker coming in next week, and she has bipolar. I was like, cool, I wanna go! It's going to be next Thursday at UTSC.

Then she looked up the website and guess who the speaker was! Kay Jamison! The lady who wrote the quote that inspired me! (see last post) I was SO happy, because this was like the perfect timing that she brought this up, right after I got diagnosed and right before the event. If I had been diagnosed later, I would not have known. Had I skipped counselling yesterday, I would not have known. And what kind of interesting circumstance that the quote I JUST read from the FIRST library book I picked up from the library, was Kay Jamison's, and she is coming ALL the way from John Hopkins University (from the US) to speak at UTSC next week!!!!

After counselling, I went down to Student Affairs to get a ticket. But the event was sold out! So I begged the secretary and she said I could talk to Drew Dudley. Drew said I could get into the event, because I explained my situation and he thought I could really benefit from the event. I also wanted to just thank Kay Jamison. Then Drew opened up and told me he had bipolar. Drew, that I've known for 3 years (he helps clubs a lot, part of Student Affairs job). He shared his experiences with me and also said that he wanted to share it to the school but he wasn't sure how (so that's why I know he doesn't mind me talking about this here). He reassured me that the medicine for bipolar works well and he has felt no side effects.

WOW! Now I know that someone I know has bipolar! It really helps to have someone understand. It was a great talk. He even said he would help me enter into the book draw, but he said not to tell anyone I got an extra ticket (hey, don't tell anyone okay?) in case other people also want to get in and want to be an exception like me.

I found out Kay Jamison wrote two books describing her experience with bipolar. She is a top researcher, very successful, so it is inspiring to know that bipolar will not make you in any way weaker or dumber or whatnot. I want to buy her books and let her autograph them :-)

Anyway, that's my sharing for today. If this doesn't show God taking care of me and having a plan for me, I don't know what does.

:-) The Starfield concert was great yesterday night too. I felt reminder's of God's presence as a Loving Father, and I was happy to see that Adrian found the concert alright too. Starfield is so genuine and talented, sharing their gifts for God. I got a CD and a poster (now up on my bedroom wall, scribbled with some of the song lyrics to remind myself of God's calling).

I also started researching seminaries. I think Tyndale is the most suitable one so far. :-) I plan to visit the campus with Pierce soon.

Martine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.