Monday, January 11, 2010

Learning to snowboard: A metaphor for one's faith journey

During the SCSU Mini-continuity retreat this past weekend, we discussed a lot, bonded a lot, had a lot of fun, and finally went snowboarding/skiing. Sara and I were pretty much the only beginner snowboarders from the SCSU, and we tried to learn to the best of our ability... but never made it to the bunny hill. We still didn't finish the 4 stages of the lessons. We were able to do the zigzag pattern but not the stopping, chicken stopping, carving, or whatever else those ppl on TV or snowboarder friend of mine, Julie Cho, can do. :-)

As I was snowboarding, I realized that learning snowboarding can be a very good allegory or metaphor to one's faith journey. First of all, you need to make a choice to choose snowboarding over skiing. Tons of people say that skiing is so much easier and if you want to have a fun day you should go skiing rather than wasting time falling on your bum with snowboarding. It is the same with God, a lot of people say that it makes more sense to not follow God, and that it's so many more rules to follow if you choose God. Why not spend time socializing more instead of reading your Bible?

Anyway, after choosing God, you also gotta have faith. At stage 2 of the snowboarding lesson, we had to learn how to trust the board and the snow, cuz if you lose faith and start to stumble about, you will fail and fall. You have to stay steady and just trust the board and the snow to take you where you wanna go. God will also be the same... it is only when you trust Him that He will take you where you wanna go.

Next, you start to get more confident and get the hang of it. Isn't it the same with faith? You start to familiarize yourself with the people, the church, the basic rules... and you feel kind of good! And it starts to get exciting!

But then comes the challenging stage. Stage 4. Muscles start hurting, you fall down hard on your bum and on your knees, your hands start freezing over cuz all your gloves are soaked and freezing hard... (yeah I didn't have proper equipment)... you almost hit your head, your back hurts... I almost wanted to cry and give up. Plus, the stupid Magic Carpet thing that brings you back uphill was just plain annoying, and traveling with a snowboard is a work out in and of itself (the snowboard was so heavy, and you have to drag it with your foot).

But I realized this is exactly the same as being a Christian. At some point in your faith journey, you are gonna get frustrated, get hurt, and want to give up. Cuz it's SO much work!!! But is it worth giving up? No, because, once you get through this stage, you will be able to feel much better and enjoy the ride down the mountain. The key is perseverance, and finding help from the coaches (snowboard instructors). In church, you can find some wise and experienced Christians to help you through the tough times, and get encouragement to carry on.

My last run was good. I only fell once cuz someone was in my way, not because I felt out of control and freaking out. I'm glad that I made that last run instead of ditching snowboarding for skiing. And after snowboarding, I don't think I will want to ski as much anymore, because snowboarding is so much better! After becoming a Christian, I also don't want to ever go back to my old life anymore. People may say that being religious is a pain in the ass, just like snowboarding... But...It is honestly just so much better, and worth the pain.
------------


-------------

This song reflects my life. I was telling Aadam from SCSU the metaphor about snowboarding and faith. And I told him how I used to be a bully, but after I became a Christian when I was 11, God turned my whole life around, and now I want to serve Him my whole entire life, as a pastor/missionary.

I feel that God is in every part of my life. From what I buy (I don't want to endorse child labour) to how I treat others... what activities I volunteer in, and how I study... it's all for God and God influences practically every decision.

I hope that this blog post inspires you, even if you don't believe in the God that I believe in. I deeply respect every religion, and if you decide to apply this allegory to your own religion, I don't mind. I just wanted to share about my own experience. :-) Take care, and I hope your journey will be a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.