Saturday, January 16, 2010
God Bless Chantel's family...
This happened a while back, but as I was watching my Psychology Lecture today and Chantel Dunn was mentioned, I felt really sad that such a beautiful sister of mine could be shot to death, without many people being aware. I believe it is true that the media likes covering more about white victims than black victims. And that is why I know much more about white victims of crime than black ones. And when we do hear about black victims of crime, we often think of gang violence, and perhaps that is true, but my sister Chantel was not part of a gang. She was a good girl, it's just that her boyfriend was associated with someone else that a gang wanted to kill. It's not her fault that she knew someone who knew someone who knew someone. And it's not fair that her killer has still not been found.
The next time you watch the news, watch out for what goes on in your mind! Because statistics show that black perpetrators are often more newsworthy than white ones, and when you see a black face, what do you think? You are affected by the media more than you think. Just remember that everything is much more than what group you're from or what race you're from. Socioeconomic factors play in, and usually the poorer communities have more crime. And why are they poor? What can we do to help them? In lecture we also learned that blacks are usually discriminated from getting a job or leasing a house in a good neighbourhood. All these factors come into play.
In this video, one sentence was said that I had to go back to hear once more: "Just because we didn't get things the way we wanted, doesn't mean we take it with a gun"
If you think this statement doesn't apply to you, think twice... Has someone you know, or even yourself, wanted to end a life or their own life because they couldn't get what they want? And Chantel's aunt also said that Chantel loved people of all races. Do you?
I know for myself, I am affected by the media too. That's why I purposely wanted to make more friends with people of different cultures. And I've said this before also: I want to work in a multicultural church, not just Chinese. And even if I do work in a Chinese church, I will make sure it becomes a multicultural one soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.